Monday, March 23, 2015

Music Monday

I have a new system for Music Mondays. As it turns out I don't have much time on Monday to review songs, nor do I have any amount of time on Sundays. So I've found that since I have the most spare on Thursday afternoons after co-op, I'll sit down at my computer and write several track reviews so that when Monday comes I can just post it and not stress about doing a fast review or doing a good review and then end up not doing it anyway.

Track Review
Track~ Drops in the Ocean
Artist~ Hawk Nelson
Album~ Drops in the Ocean (single)

This song is a redemption song. It's not about a certain person finding salvation or a singer relating their own experiences. This song is sung from Jesus' viewpoint and it explains that no matter how many times we mess up or fall down He is still going to be there to forgive us and pick us up.
If you've never listened to Hawk Nelson then you are missing out!! They're a lesser known Christian group that identifies with the pop/rock sound. Drops in the Ocean is a great mix of the different sounds in this genre. The percussion definitely takes the stage in this song. From the piano to the drums to the various other instruments that fall under percussion. I just don't know what they're called(:
I think that Hawk Nelson is a great band for teenagers to listen to because not only do they create awesome, catchy beats, they couple that music with meaningful lyrics that apply to anyone who listens. I think that's really important when, as a teenager, you are constantly being bombarded with negative messages from the entertainment world.
Psalm 103:12 says, "He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west." This is the main idea behind Drops in the Ocean. In this song, Jesus is assuring us that "[He is] for [us]..... not against [us]," and that we don't "need to settle for a substitute" or change who we are to be able to come to Him. The chorus is definitely my favorite part of the song so I'm just going to put the whole thing in here for you to read.

If you wanna know how far my love can go
Just how deep
Just how wide
If you wanna see how much you mean to me
Look at my hands
Look at my side
If you could count the times I'd say you are forgiven
It's more than the drops in the ocean


It's so wonderfully expressed and the best part is that it's true!! Jesus sacrificed his life for us because of how deep and wide His love is for us. So if you haven't yet accepted the gift He's holding out to you, it's time to "open your heart" so that you and Jesus can "start again."

This song is available on iTunes, Spotify, and in the Google Play store

Callan


 


 

1 comment: