Friday, March 13, 2015

Full Circle

Today is a special day. Today I am 17 years old. But today isn't special just because it's my birthday. It's also Friday the 13th. Now I'm not the superstitious type (I don't need to be), but I'd like to think that 17 years of clumsiness and blonde moments will end.

No??

I thought not. It's still a fun idea to share with people. Subsequently, they look at me like I'm crazy and smile anyway.

Anyway, 17 has been a  mostly quiet birthday, not the usual hubbub of gifts and barrage of phone calls. Mostly Facebook messages and two large gifts. The first of these large gifts was given to me by Theresa. A few weeks ago Theresa and I were to go guitar shopping for her since she's been learning how to play and has been recording music with a friend. She wanted me to come along since I've been playing guitar for a few years now. So we go into Guitar Center and we go through the process of picking out the guitar, a beautiful, top-of-the-line Taylor Guitar with acoustic/electric capabilities, and after we confirm everything she turns to me and says, "Happy birthday, Callan!!"

I just kind of sat there for a second and then I started bawling. As it turns out, she has been planning this purchase for two years and only learned to play guitar so that she could pull it off without me finding out. Is that not the greatest thing EVER?!?!?!???!!

For those of you that don't know, it is my dream to become a performing artist in the music world. And this guitar just took me one step closer to achieving that dream. Thank you Theresa!! I love you so much and you are the best friend anyone could ask for!!

The second gift that I received will take me (hopefully) many steps closer to my dream. For a few years now I've been dreaming of going to this fabulous, Christian music camp called Camp Electric. It is run by tobyMac and is THE place for up-and-coming Christian artists. Well I've been wanting to go to this camp but it hasn't been possible because the camp costs $750. But this year my parents have given me the gift of attending Camp Electric this summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My wonderful, amazing Spanish teacher has also contributed to this gift.

So, in a way, my 17th birthday has been quite the hubbub and barrage, just not in the normal way. And though my "unlucky" Friday the 13th-ness may not have come full circle, I'm starting to believe that my dream finally will.

Callan

No comments:

Post a Comment